Monthly Meeting - March 8, 2017

Belknap Neighborhood Association
Monthly Meeting, March 8, 2017
MINUTES

(Attending: Jonathan Raymon, Dave Colyer, Ann Hager, Dwight Marcus, Hadley Hury, Rosie Sprawls, David Sprawls, Lara Augustine, J.D. Franklin, Nik Snyder, Officer Amy Matthis-LMPD 5th Precnt., Vince Guenthner, Louisville Water Co.)

* The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by president Lara Augustine. All in attendance briefly introduced themselves. It was good to have some of our neighbors attending for their first time. Everyone is welcome, at any and all monthly meetings—and except for the rare exceptions of unusual agendas—we are committed to holding to our 1-hour meeting time.

* The minutes from the February 8 meeting were approved on a motion by J.D. Franklin seconded by vice-president Dwight Marcus.

* Officer Matthis reported that the only three crime incidents in the neighborhood this past month were at Kroger—a woman’s wallet was taken from her purse while one of the two perpetrators distracted her with a question, and two incidents of shoplifting, all apprehended.

* Vince Guenthner offered a brief presentation of Louisville Water cost structure. His chief focus was an explanation of the fact that even though water consumption has declined slightly over the past 40 years (good, from a conservation perspective) fixed costs of provision—including fire protection—remain the same. He fielded questions re: cost categories, relation of LW and MSD, and provided a pamphlet to attendees on checking for household leaks.

* Nik Snyder, treasurer, reported that there continues to be an approximately $29,000 current balance.

* The first organizational Belknap Fall Festival planning meeting will be held at Lara’s house (Carlton Terrace @ Saratoga) at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 13. All are welcome and encouraged to come. Very informal. Come to see what you may have/want to offer in the way of helping mount one of Louisville’s premiere festivals—it’s an all-volunteer effort, there are many ways, times, and levels of commitment at which you can be involved, and it’s our neighborhood’s crucially important annual fundraising event.

* Lara reported that the website committee had met again and that all was going well. A goal of having a “shell” of the new site up by April 1—particularly for Festival activity—has been set.

* Lara also reported that Laura Heiskell is working on the newsletter, with a mailing date target around the end of March.

* A nominating committee is being formed for setting the 2017-18 proposed slate of board members and officers for election at the June meeting. Candidates for the board must have demonstrated interest, and must commit to attending the one-hour monthly meetings and one other area of contribution. If you are interested in being considered or in nominating someone else for consideration for BNA board service, please contact Hadley Hury, secretary, at hhhury@gmail.com or call him at 690-9880 for an application form. (If you want to put forward someone else’s name, please talk directly with that person and be certain that she or he is actually agreeable and interested before doing so.)

*Rosie Sprawls asked if there were any new updates on the Belknap Condos, and none were known. Rosie reported having seen some workmen coming and going. It was reiterated that some new units had been approved but that the property’s four corners of trees and greenspace are to be protected.

The meeting adjourned at 7:47 p.m.

Submitted by,
Hadley Hury, Secretary

Monthly Meeting - February 8, 2017

Belknap Neighborhood Association Monthly Meeting
February 8, 2017
MINUTES

(Attending: Jim Dailey, Chris Ward, Hadley Hury, Ann Massey, Bo Manning, Bob Manning, Barbara Mercer, Mary Beth VanMeter, Craig Harman, Mandy Schott Learn, Karla Spencer, J.D. Franklin, Dwight Marcus, Lara Augustine, Lynn Just, Robert Pieroni, Joel Lalto (sp?), Alan Rubin, Brandon Coan–8th Dist. Metro Council, Jeff Brown–Publ. Works, Erin Thompson–Urban Forestry Supvr., Mary Ellen Cassidy–Upper Highland Nbhd. Assn., Officer Amy Matthis–LMPD, 5th Prcnt.)

* The meeting was called to order at 7:01 by president Lara Augustine. All in attendance introduced themselves. On a motion by Karla Spencer seconded by J. D. Franklin, the January minutes were approved as posted to Belknap email lists and in the Belknap closed Facebook Group.

* Officer Matthis gave the monthly neighborhood crime report: theft from an unlocked vehicle and one shoplifting incident at Kroger. Councilperson Brandon Coan reminded everyone that crime reporting is available in the District 8 website and asked again that everyone sign-up for regularly receiving Dist. 8 email news https://louisvilleky.gov/…/metro-co…/subscribe-stay-informed

* Public works representative Jeff Brown, urban forestry supervisor Erin Thompson, and Mr. Coan led a discussion on the recent tree removals on Boulevard Napoleon. Two of the trees were seriously unhealthy or in late decline, but the sidewalk contractor made a mistake in working in proximity to the roots of two healthy trees. The contractor will be paying for replacement trees. Ms. Thompson will coordinate with BNA officer and Tree Program Coordinator Hadley Hury on the process of exact tree selections, and says that replanting will occur perhaps in the coming Spring weeks or, at latest, this Fall. The contractor will receive additional training and supervision in order to keep their contract and to prevent such an egregious mistake from happening again. Mr. Coan also is working with public works to ensure that neighbors and homeowners will not, in future, be caught off-guard. When sidewalks need repair, every effort will be made for the least possible impact on trees. Assurance was given that—as per the city’s, non-profits organizations’, and neighborhood groups’ concerted efforts at replacing the city’s tree canopy—trees are to be recognized as a vital environmental, aesthetic, and property value resource with highest possible priority.

* Lara provided a brief treasurer’s report in Nik Snyder’s absence. Current balance is approx. $29,000. 

* Robert Pieroni, who is designing our new BNA website—with the input of BNA board members—presented the results, including proposal hand-out, of the planning meeting with Karla and Lara. The new site will be far more appealing, inviting, engaging, interactive, and utilizable. Consideration is being given to marketing, membership generation and maintenance (and ease of payment), donations, documents access, etc. On a motion by Chris Ward, seconded by Karla, $3,000 was approved for the design with a $220 annual maintenance fee.

* Hadley presented an update on the BNA Tree Planting & Canopy Replacement Initiative, and reminded the Board that the fate of potential grant monies from the MSD Urban Reforestation fund remain in doubt until closer to their July 1 annual budget date. Having met with the other officers, he proposed that BNA commit on its own to 40 hardwood trees in 2017 regardless of whether the MSD partial reimbursements funds materialize or not. If they do, we will be able to plant, as in the past two seasons, many more (in November-December 2015, 80 were planted, and last November-December, 106). Motion to approve—along with a homeowner investment of $65 per tree—was made by Bob Manning, seconded by Dwight, and passed unanimously. 

* Mary Beth VanMeter reminded everyone that Deb Reese still has the multi-lingual “I’m Glad You’re My Neighbor” yard signs. Please see postings in Facebook about how, when, and where to pick up.

* Lara reported that the Easter Egg Hunt in Warheim Park will be Saturday, April 15, at 2:30 p.m.

* The BNA newsletter, which Laura Heiskell is putting together for us, will be in mailboxes by the end of March. Anyone with articles must get them to Laura ASAP.

* Dwight reported that we’re already getting sponsors for the Belknap Fall Festival. Watch for planning meeting dates soon—we need volunteers in all capacities and all are welcome at these planning meetings.

* On a motion by Karla seconded by Hadley, the meeting adjourned at 8:05.

Submitted by,
Hadley Hury
Secretary

Monthly Meeting - January 11, 2017

Belknap Neighborhood Association
Monthly Meeting – January 11, 2017
MINUTES

(In attendance: Jonathan Raymon, Laura Heiskell, Hadley Hury, Dwight Marcus, Nik Snyder, Mandy Learn, Lara Augustine, J.D. Franklin, Patricia Lambert, Robert Pieroni, Chris Ward, Karla Spencer, Barbara Jones, Officer Amy Mathis-LMPD-5th, Tina DaNike-Kroger)

• The meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by president Lara Augustine and everyone in attendance briefly introduced themselves. 

• The November meeting minutes were approved as posted. Secretary Hadley Hury thanked Karla Spencer for taking the minutes in his absence, and reiterated to newcomers in attendance that the minutes are regularly posted in both the BNA email group and the closed Belknap Facebook group.

• We were pleased to welcome Tina DaNike, our Highlands Kroger’s customer service coordinator. Tina thanked the neighborhood for patronizing the store and assured us that she and the management team are committed to serving our needs efficiently. She stressed the fact that she appreciates personal communication and getting to know regular customers, and that when anyone has a question about stocking, or any other store service, asks that we find (or ask for) her, Marty the manager, or one of the other two management team members. In response to a question from Mandy about the possibility of online shopping, Tina said that it was a store goal and that she would discuss with Marty and report back.

• We were also pleased to welcome Officer Amy Mathis (who replaces Officer Kevin Mumphrey who has accepted a new post downtown) as our 5th Precinct liaison. She reported that there had been seven vehicle break-ins in the past month. All seven were unlocked with various items visible. Officer Mathis reminded everyone that this is the standard M.O. of car thiefs: they look car by car until they find one unlocked. The chief proven deterrents to crime are quite simple: (1) lock your vehicles at all times, and (2) have at least one exterior light on through the night. 

• Treasurer Nik Snyder presented his report. We currently have a balance of approximately $46,500. He also brought up some points about avoiding cyber-intrusion and ensuring the integrity of the association’s communications and finances. Discussion ensued about past and potential challenges and action steps to be taken.

• Hadley presented a year-end report on our Tree Planting & Canopy Restoration Project. He will forward the Otte invoice for 107 hardwood trees (and professional planting) to Nik. The MSD partnership grant funding check is in process, due any day, and will be immediately be given to Nik. Of the $40,125 cost, participating BNA residents’ investment and grant funding defrayed all but $11,485. MSD funding is uncertain at this time. Hadley is in touch for updates and—pursuant to a BNA executive committee budget meeting—will present a recommendation to the Board re: how many trees (regardless of that funding source) we can commit to on our own for 2017.

• The need for a new BNA website was discussed. A committee of volunteers—Mandy, Karla, Lara, Robert Pieroni, and one other resident to be confirmed—will carefully examine aims, purposes, uses, and audiences to ensure that we do not end up with an only marginally utilized site. Probable cost of design was discussed, with a desired range of $2,000 and no more than 4,000 agreed upon.

• The Warheim Park Easter Egg Hunt is scheduled for April 15. Lara asked for another volunteer to commit to arrangements and staging, and Laura agreed to help.

• Laura has also agreed to keep producing our BNA newsletter, for which everyone expressed their gratitude. It was agreed that the Spring issue will be mailed the last week of March.

• We have been advised that due to cars continually parking right up to the stop signs, yellow lines will be painted at the tri-section of Wibben, Dundee, and Yale.

• Our new Metro Councilperson, Brandon Coan, has asked that all neighbors who wish to receive District 8 and other important metro news emails, please sign onto this link: https://louisvilleky.gov/…/metro-co…/subscribe-stay-informed

• Discussion was held as to whether or not we should procure a BNA credit or debit card for purchases, especially around Festival time. Since purchases over $250 must have Board approval it was agreed for now not to do this and rely as we have done on immediate reimbursements when needed.

• Belknap Fall Festival planning will begin in April. All neighbors interested in helping plan for this event that is so important to your neighborhood association’s vitality and programming are invited. Meetings will be held once a month at first and, closer to October, twice. Various tasks for various interests—it’s a lot of work but also a lot of fun! Watch for announcements of a kick-off organizational get-together at a local establishment.

On a motion by Hadley, seconded by Karla, the meeting was adjourned at 8:17 p.m.

Submitted by,
Hadley Hury
Secretary

Monthly Meeting - October 12, 2016

Belknap Neighborhood Association
Meeting Minutes
October 12, 2016

(Attending: Laura Heiskell, Dwight Marcus, Jonathan Raymon, Nik Snyder, J. D Franklin, Chris Ward, Hadley Hury, Amy Yuda, Lara Augustine, Tom Payette, Ann Hager, Karla Spencer, Tom Owen – Metro Council 5, Offcr. Kevin Mumphrey – LMPD 5.)

* The meeting was called to order at 7:00 by president Lara Augustine.

* On a motion by vice-president Dwight Marcus, seconded by Lara, the minutes of the September meeting were approved as posted by secretary Hadley Hury to Belknap email lists and in the closed Belknap FB group.

* Officer Mumphrey reported very light monthly crime activity. A couple of previous perpetrators were apprehended. Kevin reminded neighbors to call the 5th precinct to report any suspicious activity; it helps them in their tracking. Neighbors are also reminded that the first line of prevention to property theft is always to lock vehicle and house doors and to leave at least one exterior light on at night.

* Treasurer Nik Snyder reported that although a few bills remain to be settled the Fall Festival grossed approximately $49,000 with expenses of approx. 31,000, for an approx. net of 18,000.
BNA current balance approx. $46.000.

* Tom Owen reminded everyone of the upcoming CycLOUvia event this Sunday afternoon, October 16, and of the Brightside Clean-Up Day from 9-12 on the 22nd. He also reported on the new partnership between Solid Waste Management and Habitat’s ReStore for the recycling of leftover latex paint. Neighbors are urged to take their excess latex paint to either Solid Waste or to ReStores or their drop-off centers. The paint will be recycled for use in graffiti control and for admixed resale in four or five colors. Tom also mentioned that any interested neighbors can sign-up for the new succinctly presented crime report email-blasts from either LMPD 5th or entire city.

* Amy Yuda reported that things went as well as we could have expected re: the Belknap Condos at the recent DRC hearing. There will be minimum increased density. All new parking spaces have been reconfigured much less conspicuously to preserve all four greenspace corners of the property and are largely internal to the buildings or discreetly adjacent to the existing spaces. Amy will provide a map, and also recover our remaining retainer from our attorney.

* Laura Heiskell was thanked for her work on the recent newsletter. She has volunteered to manage its production, and the new plan is to do three newsletters a year—March, mid-summer, and before Fall festival—if that can be, as we expect, financially feasible.

* The December holiday get-together will be further discussed at the November meeting.

* On SUNDAY, OCT. 23, the neighborhood will have a Plant & Seed Exchange at Deb Reese’s house at the corner of Dundee and Fleming, from 2-4 p.m.

* There will be a Volunteer Appreciation party from 6:30-8:30 on THURSDAY, OCT. 27, at the home of Barbara Jones, 2427 Boulevard Napoleon (black iron fence). Barbara says, “the door will be open—volunteers please come in”.

Submitted by,
Hadley Hury
Secretary